20 Apr 2010

TO TASTE THE REAL ... GEYLANG LOR 29 FRIED HOKKIEN MEE

 It been sometime since I last paid a visit to my favourite hokkien mee.I have been there couple of times but I did not see Alex behind the stove infact he was not around.
Today I went to try my luck.What else can I say my face lighted up with smiles to to see Alex behind the stove,doing what he does best stirring and arousing the hokkien mee.The fragrance was already tantalizing my senses.

 Here I am sitting and staring at beauty of a hokkien mee.Just looking at it an art, a skill...you know this is something special on my plate.
Not like any other Hokkien mee you see a creamy milk kind of texture in the stock.Topped with fresh prawns and cuttlefish.In every mouthful you can taste,every single strand of  the noodles infused with simply out of this world stock.The wok hei is wonderful, cooked beautifully, looking soggy but not.Though looking quite gooey they were not stuck together,separates very easily.It just slips through your mouth,tantalizing the taste bud,this is pure ecstasy. (The chilli is not that good)
The reason why I travel all the way from the North To the East.To taste from the hand of the master,skill of a magician who can turn this simple noodles, into a desire for me and others, just to come all the way here to have the Hokkien Mee. Is like fulfilling some long lost lust that burns in me.Just out of this world.

I ordered another plate but Alex took a break.His assistance took over the cooking.Mind you, all the stirring and mixing has been done by Alex,all his assistance has to do is add the stock of soup and simmer...cook it.
 The plate of hokkien mee was served,it did not look anything like the one,I had just 5 minutes ago.Having a complete different look.Did not see any creamy milk kind of texture here,looked more like any other hokkien mee stock.
 The noodles were clot together, drier,even the prawns and cuttlefish tasted different.Mind you this is quite  a good hokkien mee,the assistance has improved alot,but it just not the same as done by the magic hands of the master.
Sad to say,the assistance hokkien mee it is nothing like what Alex does. It is a entirely a different hokkien mee all together from the taste,texture and presentation. It is good but it is not Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee.And  Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien mee is all about Alex and Alex is  Gelyand Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee...$4.00 each.

Alex was still sitting taking a break, chatted with him,he told, he could not stand in the smoke for long and having difficulty in breathing,his health is ailing.And is planning to retired all together.He has already been in and out of hospital.

So if you want to have the real taste of  Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee... go before Alex retires.
Make sure he doing the cooking and taste the magic of the master of Hokkien Mee.











Food R Us
Integrated Cafe
396 East Coast Road.
Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee


4 comments:

  1. Nice review. Must try before the master stop frying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sen.It's must try hokkien mee as long as Alex is at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are open from 12 noon onwards.

    ReplyDelete